Friday, August 21, 2009

Pain : Part I - Theory and Reality

We are told that pain is the body's way of telling you that something is wrong. There is a rare disease which causes the person suffering from it not to feel any pain.

"Mind over matter, you can do it" "Don't think about the pain". "Think of those worse off than you, those suffering from cancer for instance". These are some of the things said to people suffering pain on a continuous basis, including many with Rheumatoid Arthritis, to encourage them and to give them some sort of comfort.

Some are uncomfortable with another's pain. They would rather not see it. "Out of sight, out of mind". Many want to help, doctors, friends, family, kind strangers you meet.

I remember lying sideways curled up in pain on my dear mum's bed. Every inch of my body burned with fire. I could only moan. I was helpless, defeated by my own body.

Pain is insidious, it slithers around your body and insinuates itself into every part. It has a life of its own. When pain is that bad, all you want to do is die. I should know.

That is the reality of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment