Saturday, October 17, 2009

Life can still be Good.

A few nights ago, I attended a family wedding dinner. The family met in the morning for a little blessing service by a priest which was meaingful to all and then a champane toast.

It had not been a good start to my day for various reasons. Then the thought of the whole day before me was just overwhelming. I had to pack all my clothes, make-up etc and take it to my brother's house where I would need help dressing. This is something most fully abled people take for granted. It takes a lot of planning for me for events such as this. I have to make sure I take all I need.It is not as f I can jump into a car and drive home for what I have forgotten. Then there is the probem of undressing when I return home. It is hard enough getting out of loose clothes. A fitted evening dress is a near impossibility. I considered sending my apologies and feigning illness, I do have a chronic illness after all. As I have done many times before, I pushed depressive thoughts of how I would manage out of my head and got going.

How glad I am that I did. The morning was great, the night wonderful. The bathroom for the disabled on the floor the dinner was on, was not working, again. It was not working on the day I attended the tasting for this dinner. Do people care you could fall without a grab bar? Not the hotel staff who were there obviously. Well, on to more pleasant things.

It is usual for me at such events to skip the pre dinner cocktails and go directly in. I then sit and wait for everyone to come in. I met people I knew well as I walked it and stayed to chat, with them then with others. A very kind soul procured a chair for me and it became that much easier.

The rest of the night flew by. I actualy danced - for all of 10 minutes but enloyed the moves of the young and not so young but able. It was a great night with great people, especialy those I love. The undressing, shower so late wss not easy but a small sacrifice to make.

The moral of all of this - life can still be good for those of us with chronic pain and disability. It can even be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment